Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wanting a new look

Today Josh wanted potato cakes.  I have never actually made them.  I can remember my  mom making them years ago.  I wanted to get them just right.  I called my mother-in-law for her recipe.  Josh has eaten hers before and knew he liked them.  I  do believe Mom makes her the same way.  Basically the recipe calls for leftover mash potatoes, onions, egg,and self-rising flour.  I wasn't sure how much flour, but just added some until I could get the potatoes to patty up.  I fried the cakes in vegetable oil.  Result:  Success.  Josh liked them.  I did tweak them a little bit as we went along.  Mine were too fat Josh said so I made them more flat..  And he wanted them crispier.  We also added cheese to one to see if he liked it with cheese.  He did.  He ate six or so.  Sorry Jake wasn't here to enjoy since that is one of his favorite things.  I need to teach Taylor how to make them.  First, I will have to teach her to mash potatoes.  (peel potatoes)  One thing I will do differently next time, I will saute the onions before putting them in the mixture.  I thought the onions were too crispy and had too much of a bite.  I would like them to be more tender. 

I am picking up Taylor and Jake from Louisville airport today at 6:30.  I plan to stop at Hobby Lobby on my way.  If time allows, The Cheesecake Factory may call my name before picking up the kids.  I guess we could go afterwards.  My goal at Hobby Lobby is to purchase 3 frames.  Two large frames for senior photos of Josh and Taylor and one large photo of ring figure for Taylor.  I plan to decorate my fireplace differently this time.  I packed away all the Christmas decorations and need a more finished look for the mantle.  I plan on putting two senior photos above and searching Hobby Lobby for accessories.  I wish Nate Berkus could  go with me and help me select.  I like his show.  He has great ideas. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment