Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Retrospect

When I was teaching my first year at Fleming Co. High School, another English teacher made a lasting impression on me.  Her name was Ruth Rankin.  She was the nicest lady.  She enjoyed cooking and planning menus.  Often as gifts she would give friends a menu with recipes in a folder she had created and organized.  I still have one she gave me 20+ years later.  Inside the folder was a monthly menu with a recipe for each day.  Isn't that a neat and clever thing.  I orginally went to school to be a Home Ec. teacher and this menu/cookbook was just my thing.  I often think of Ruth Rankin when planning meals.  So with menu planning in mind, I hope to plan menus for my family and become more organized.  I want to plan the weekly menu on what's on sale and what I have coupons available for.  Hmmm should be interesting.  I am  behind for this week, but here is what I have served for supper.  Now that Josh is home, our meals are usually beef.  He will not eat chicken or pork.  However, we need to limit our beef per doctor's request.   I have not been successful.

Sunday - Manwich sandwiches, tater tots  (hamburger on sale, manwich on sale, and tater tots on sale) 
Monday - Roast Beef, potatoes, and carrots.  Pineapple upside down cake.   (everything on sale)
Tuesday - Vegetable Beef soup using leftovers from Monday and pantry vegetables.
Wednesday - Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn  (Green beans were not on sale, Allens green beans)
Thursday - I was on the road - No supper planned, but it does look like bacon and eggs were cooked in my abscence.  Potato cakes for Josh
Friday - ????

Definitely need to add some salad to my menus.  You can see how I am cooking too much beef.  Josh just may need to fend for himself.  I am  thinking chicken today.

Yesterday I stopped at The Cheesecake Factory while waiting on Jake and Taylor's plane to land. I splurged on Dulce de Leche Caramel Cheesecake.  Oh my goodness!!!  $7.95 a slice!!  Worth every penny!!!


I did stop at Hobby Lobby yesterday.   They had 90% off Christmas.  I found a few things.  I did buy three frames and three candle sticks for the mantle.  My mantle will still need a few things, but I have a start. 

I also picked up some quilt squares.  I think I will start a quilt.  Why not? 


Blessing of the day!  I had all three kids + 1 home last night.  I sleep easier when the kids are safe and sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment